National Teams / Squads
The High Performance Manager is involved at national level through Basketball Australia’s National Centre of Excellence and national team programs. South Australians training in the NITP squads and playing representative basketball for South Australia are considered for selection in National Squads that include Centre of Excellence scholarships.
Representative and State Teams
South Australia sends men’s and women’s state teams to four national tournaments each year:
- Under 16 National Championships
- Under 18 National Championships
- Under 20 National Championships
- Ivor Burge National Championships (for people with an intellectual disability)
South Australia sends metropolitan and country teams to the Under 16 and Under 18 national championships, which provides the opportunity to compete against other states and territories. The best players from across metropolitan and country areas are selected for the Under 20 and Ivor Burge teams to compete in the national championships. Selection trials are advertised and conducted for all teams.
State Team Handbook 2017
Metro and Country Boundary
Basketball SA has established eligibility rules outlining whether a player is eligible to represent SA Country or SA Metro at the Under 16 and Under 18 state level:
- Principal eligibility will be determined by the location of the family home.
- If a player is attending a school in the metropolitan area their eligibility will be determined by the location of the family home.
- In the case of a separated family situation residential status is to be based on the location of the parent with whom the player lives the majority of their time.
- If the location of the family home changes within 3 months of the start of the Championship residential status will be based on the location of the family home prior to the 3 months.
- A revised metro-country boundary was introduced on 1 January 2014 and applies to all players that have not represented South Australia.
- Players that have represented SA Country or Metro teams previously that were born before 1 January 2014 that reside within the zone affected by the changes are exempt from the new zone whilst they continue to reside at the same residence after 1 January 2014.
- Once a player has been selected to represent SA Country or Metro in a Development Tournament (U14 and above) which includes Country Cup, Southern Cross Challenge etc or at a National Junior Championship their future representative basketball will be tied to that program until their age group has concluded under 18 state program.