Basketball SA currently operates a number of Referee Development Programs, which offer aspiring referees a choice of pathways depending on their individual goals and requirements.
The core development programs are:
- State Referee Development Program (SRDP): Selected referees who have been identified as having the potential to officiate in high levels of competition.
- National Referee Development Program (NRDP): Referees who have been identified as having the potential to officiate at National League level.
- Panel: Referees who have been identified as having the potential to officiate at elite levels in senior and junior local, state and national competitions.
Members of these programs are involved in regular training sessions, additional on-court assessment and coaching in games plus selection to referee in the higher grades of district basketball. Referees should expect to remain on the squad for a minimum two years but recommended three-year term depending on their continued development and improvement.
Membership is based on an application and selection process. Basketball SA selects the final members and allocates these referees to a suitable panel.
Some of the topics that may be covered by members during their development in these programs are:
- Time management
- Self assessment
- Communication skills
- The mentoring process
- Principles of basketball defence/offence
- Physical fitness & dietary programs
- Goal setting
- Referee coaching
- Rule & Mechanic application
- Drug, alcohol and social issues
- Managing performance issues
- Professional presentation
- Conflict resolution
- Report writing
- On court presentation
- Team work
- Tribunal skills